This large house belonged to Edward John Robeson, Jr., an employee at Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company who went into politics upon his retirement from the shipyard. This image was taken January 20, 1932. The house stood on a hill overlooking Lake Maury, Kettle Pond, and the James River, where the statue “Conquering the Wild” by Anna Hyatt Huntington now stands.
In August of 1934 the beautiful house was torn down to make way for the statue.Read more
A couple of years ago I posted a similar picture showing this boat and hole from the outside. You can see that here. This is an interior shot showing our Portuguese fishing boat being moved into the building. The boat is very large at over 50 feet long and 13 feet wide and so the only to get it into the building was to bust a hole in the wall.
This shot shoes men on the lake at Deer Park breaking ice, December 20, 1932Read more
For those who follow the Way Back Wednesday posts, they get an interesting peek into The Mariners’ Museum’s history. Many people, including our staff, don’t realize that there is a whole treasure trove of these photos kept in the back of the museum in storage. Part of the reason for this is that there has never been a complete inventory done for them, so no one is completely sure what all we have. We have been working on fixing that problem with the tremendous help of our volunteer Melissa, a CNU student.
Melissa has been spending her time sorting the photographs into different categories, arranging the photograph folders by date, replacing old acidic materials with newer archival materials, and putting the photographs into an excel database that will allow us to do word searches to find images showing particular subjects. The importance of these photos in regard to the history of the museum and our collection is immeasurable, and it has been great fun going through them.Read more
In 1999 we sent out our Gondola to Venice, Italy for restoration work. These two shots show it being transported to the shop where pieces would be fixed and it was repainted. It is now on display in our International Small Craft Center.