This first picture shows construction on the Gibbs Gallery in 1971. It was built to commemorate the achievements of William Francis Gibbs, probably best know for designing and supervising the building of SS United States. In 1922, he and his brother, Frederic Herbert Gibbs began the company that would eventually become known as Gibbs & Cox.
Here we have the Junior League of Hampton Roads in 1961 who acted as tour guides for our visitors. And behind them is our beautiful eagle figurehead from USS Lancaster.