Art in the Park – Trotman Anchor (DA 84)

Posted on
transport da84

It’s time to talk about another one of our Artifact in the Park objects, a Trotman Anchor (ca 1857-1890) sponsored by The Bronze Door Society (a big thank you to them!).  This anchor was one of several donated in 1961 to us by Baldt Anchor, Chain and Forge Division of The Boston Metals Company.  It gets its name from John Trotman, who patented this particular type of anchor in 1852.  This particular anchor was made by Noah Hingley & Sons Ltd. of Netherton, England, a company that was involved with creating the anchors used by RMS Titanic and RMS Lusitania.

Above is the anchor being taken from our trailer into Davis Boat Works, as this was another one that they and Everette Howell from Coastal Cleaning LLC worked on.  There is no way that we would have ever been able to work on these as fast as they have been, which is a big help in keeping up with the project.   Read more