For those who are familiar with our park, they may recognize this statue as Conquering the Wild. It sits on Monument Hill, just past the Lion’s bridge. This series of photos shows the statue in 1934 when it was still in New Jersey being prepared for transport to Newport News.
The statue was created in 1930 by Anna Hyatt Huntington, who designed it to be a tribute to Collis Potter Huntington. Collis brought the railroad and shipyard to Newport News, which gave it the resources needed to grow into the city it is now.