This was one of the storage buildings (in 1937) attached to the main museum. It would later be converted into our library space, at least until they moved over to the Christopher Newport University library.
After they discontinued storing our boats in the lake, they put them into our courtyard where they were more easily visible, as this photo from 1940 shows. Now they are happily displayed in our International Small Craft Center.
And here we have an image from July of 1947 from when the Newport News Boys Club camped in the park. They have clearly been swimming, but the lake is no longer a nice place to do that.
This photo shows a classroom exhibition that was inspired by a visit to The Mariners’ Museum in 1936. Not sure what school this is from, but the wall looks great!